Physiotherapy for humans is a well established principle of medical treatment. Canine Physiotherapy or Animal physiotherapy in general is a developing profession and can provide a high level of care and follow up treatment for animals in the same way as it does for human patients.
Physiotherapy for small animals is increasingly in demand with pet owners seeking out treatments where they can see positive, progressive results delivered by highly trained professionals and be involved in the care process themselves.
The use of a prescribed home exercise plan allows owners to be involved in the delivery of the physiotherapy program. Simple changes to current exercise can make a big difference to your dog, targeting specific muscle groups and still having fun with your dog. A basic ‘give paw’ command takes on a whole new meaning when you know it is part of a targeting recovery plan.
No one likes to take pain relief medication on a long term basis and owners feel the same about their dogs. Using physiotherapy techniques such as electrotherapy and biomagnetics can help improve blood flow to affected areas, improve muscle tone and reduce the need for medication. FootFalls uses the combination laser and ultrasound equipment alongside the biomagnetic therapy pads to treat those dogs who will benefit from these techniques.
FootFalls therapists are qualified and experienced human physiotherapists and we aim to provide the same high level of care for your animal as we would for you.
We have specific guidelines for owners that you can read below, alternatively you can download here. We kindly ask that you please download the guidelines by clicking here, print, sign and bring to your appointment.
Problems that could benefit from physiotherapy:
- Performance & function problems
- Stiffness, reduced function and muscle weakness
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Tendon injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Joint conditions
- Rehabilitation pre and post surgery, orthopaedic and neurological
- Wound Problems
Our Canine Treatments:
- Range of movement active/passive
- Postural Sets
- Neuromuscular electronical stim
- Home exercise programme
- Weight bearing/proprioceptive exercises
- Magnetic Therapy
- Wound Management
Guidelines for Owners
- Dogs must be kept on lead at all times in the clinic unless instructed by the Physio.
- If your dog is undergoing hydrotherapy treatment please ensure that they have had an opportunity to toilet before the session. Outside facilities are available at the clinic.
- Please DO NOT FEED your dog for 2hours before or after a swim. Feeding your dog during these times increases the risk of BLOAT. This condition is potentially life threatening.
- Fouling of the hydrotherapy pool results in contamination of the water and a fee of £60.00 will be charged towards cleaning, professional bacterial testing, loss of income and decontamination of the pool.
- Each session must be paid for on the day.
- 24 hours notice of cancellation is required. We reserve the right to charge the full cost of the appointment.
- Treatment appointment slots are 30minutes if you are late for your appointment treatment may be shortened or not given. The cost of the appointment will still be charged.
- Please note you may get wet during the session – waterproof trousers for owners are supplied by the clinic if required.
- Dogs need to have a coat post session. We sell ComfortZone coats if required.
- Please inform the Physio if your dog has any specific dietary requirements. We do provide treats for the dog during the session, if your dog has a specific preference for a treat, please bring these with you.
- Any dog that shows aggression towards the therapist or staff may require the use of a basket muzzle. This will be discussed and agreed with you.
Contact us by Phone
Please contact us by phone for booking enquiries or queries.
01702 808 060 – Leigh-On-Sea Clinic
01702 826 670 – Sutton Road Clinic
Contact us via the form
Contact us by Post
Please contact us by post for bookings or referrals.
1611, London Road, Leigh-On-Sea, Essex, SS9 2SQ
498, Sutton Road, Southend-On-Sea, Essex, SS2 5PN